Monday 5 December 2011

Stuffed Peppers with Feta Cheese

I was a bit homesick last week, so I decided to make something greek-inspired in the kitchen. Stuffed peppers are considered quite a delicacy back home (we all get very excited when my grandmother makes them - and she also makes stuffed vine leaves and onions), although they are traditionally made with minced meat, rice and spices. However, I didn't have any minced meat at home, so I stuffed them with a mixture based on feta cheese - which is more of a Greek way to do rather than Cypriot. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you try it at home. :)

Ingredients: (serves 1)
-100g feta cheese
-2 large peppers (preferably red, orange or yellow because they are sweeter than the green ones)
-1 tsp finely chopped pepper
-2 rashers of smoked bacon or pancetta, excess fat removed and chopped
-1 teaspoon thyme
-1 teaspoon dried mint
-1 small tomato deseeded (you don't want the filling getting too liquidy) and finely chopped
-2 spring onions, finely chopped
-1 tbsp of olive oil plus more for brushing the peppers
-Black pepper

1. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
2. Cut off the top of the peppers and scoop out the seeds.
3. In a bowl, crumble the feta, add the chopped pepper, bacon/pancetta, the herbs, the tomato, spring onions, 1 tbsp of olive oil and crack a bit of black pepper. Blend well.
4. Carefully scoop the filling into the peppers.Cover them with their tops and brush with a bit of olive oil.
5. Put them in the oven for about half an hour or until the peppers soften and the cheese melts.
6. Serve warm, ideally with a dollop of greek yoghurt.


13 comments:

  1. I love stuffed bell peppers! My grandfather taught me how to make them. Isn't wonderful how family traditions get passed down. Thanks for this recipe. :)
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that looks delicious!! thanks also for your lovely comment in my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recipe .. I will try it asap! :)))
    x
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    @Nina
    and let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try your recipe - I love feta cheese. Thank you!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're welcome! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog - the book you mean is, I think, The Little Black Book of Style by Nina Garcia - I reviewed it on my blog in October!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/search/label/Nina%20Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, they look good! Which part of Cyp are you from? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicosia. have you ever been to Cyprus? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh nice! My parents have a place in Limassol and I must've spent at least a year in Cyprus in my life time, yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh then you must be quite experienced with Cypriot food! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...