Thursday 1 August 2013

The time I almost appreciated Ayia Napa

Although Ayia Napa is considered a prime destination for tourists and Cypriots who want to have wild party-filled and alcohol-fueled holidays, it's just not my cup of tea. It's too crowded and too commercial for this peace-loving blogger.

However, in my quest to have a great time in Cyprus this summer, I went with two of my favourite people (you know who you are!) for a night out in Ayia Napa. Obviously we had food. Nevertheless, we had food a very unique place, a place I visited for the first time (to my surprise). 

We went to Fiji, a restaurant in the heart of Ayia Napa serving Polynesian cuisine.





The atmosphere was quite... polynesian, with waiters in Hawaiian shirts, tropical plants everywhere, even fish hanging from the ceiling!





We started with drinks. Mine was called Chi Chi, charmingly translating to "woman's breast".


And then there was another one.


And another one.


And then there was the food.
We started with some polynesian appetizers.
The mussels were suitably hot & spicy, and the interesting basket of goodies gave us the chance to try out a few things - all delicious of course.



And then the main courses arrived.

Fafa Chicken for M1.


Chicken Curry for M2.


And lemongrass chicken for M3-moi!


I didn't try the other ones, but mine was delicious - including the sides which are often overlooked. The chicken was moist with that hint of lemongrass, the potatoes were soft, buttery and well-seasoned, while the sauteed vegetables were fresh with a suitable degree of crunch.

I was assured that the curry and the Fafa chicken were delicious as well.

But here comes the real star of the the evening: fried ice cream. 

I don't know if it was the contrast between hot and cold or crunchy and soft, but this baby blew my tastebuds away. Although we ordered to share it between the three of us, I got carried away (with my palate having a party and everything) and I had more than my fair share - something M1 and M2 very sweetly didn't mention.



Did I ever tell you my theory about the two stomachs?
We actually have two stomachs, one for main courses and another for dessert. Therefore, even if we are absolutely stuffed with the main course, there's always room for dessert.
 
So we didn't limit ourselves to just one dessert. It would be a sin considering how delicious their desserts are!
Say hi to Snowball, every coconut-holic's dream.


A big, fat scoop of coconut ice cream, all rolled up in coconut shavings and pieces of those coconut sweets I used to have as a kid in the early 90s. M1 was practically squealing with joy at the reminiscence of her own school days and those little pieces of coconut happiness!

After lots of chatting, laughing and that little bit of naughty gossip, the three little piggies left, stuffed but happy.





Oh no, they didn't! 

The three little piggies meandered aimlessly for some time in the party town of Ayia Napa and reminisced about the time you couldn't walk for five minutes in Ayia Napa without bumping into some drunken tourist:








But then the trio decided that the most appropriate way to end the night was to go for more cocktails at the beautiful (and massively underestimated) Guru.










It was as if we jumped into some Arabian fairy tale. Complete with shisha and everything of course.


I don't recall exactly what I ordered, but it had a hint of lychee and the sweet aroma of jasmine. Obviously the bougainvillea flowers made it look even more exotic. Although a tad sweet for me, it was still something quite special. 


More drinks followed of course. This baby was with crushed, incredibly aromatic basil. Still, I can't remember the name, but if you find it on the menu I highly recommend it!


Again, after long talks, longer laughs and a few too many drinks for some of us, it was time to go home.

The three little piggies finally went home, stuffed, happy, and a teeny tiny bit tipsy.

If you also want a bit of Polynesian goodness in your plate, call up Fiji restaurant on 23725925 and make a reservation. If, however, you want a light drink and a bit of shisha do not miss Guru. Find them at 11, Odyssea Eliti, Ayia Napa.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...