After a week away in London, I make my come back with my own version of BLT sandwich. I know people don't usually consider sandwiches to be real food, but I disagree; they are an art in their own right (of course I don't mean those disgusting things people serve at times with month-old baps and tasteless cheese). BLT is one of my favourites, and after quite a bit of experimenting, I give you the fruits of my labour:
M's ultimate BLT:
-2 slices of bread or 1 baguette/panini
-1 teaspoon of mayonnaise (home-made is always better, but store-bought will do as well)
-1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (I use without grains, but feel free to use whichever you like)
-1 clove of garlic, minced or grated (crushing or grating garlic tends to give more flavour than just chopping it)
-2 rashers of bacon or pancetta
-a bit of iceberg lettuce (I prefer iceberg for the crunch, but really you can use any lettuce you like)
-1 small tomato, sliced
-1 few slices of pickled jalapenos (optional)
1. Get a pan on the stove and leave for about a minute to get hot (no oil, no butter, no anything in)
2. Warm up your grill and put the bread in to toast for a few minutes.
3. Trim a bit of the fat from the bacon or the pancetta if there's too much, but do leave a bit so you can fry it afterwards in its own fat.
3. When the pan is hot, dry fry the bacon/pancetta. If you are not using a baguette or a panini you may want to cut the rashers in half first so they don't stick out when you assemble the sandwich at the end.
4. Keep frying the bacon/pancetta until it reaches the desired level of crispiness, and leave to drain on kitchen paper.
5. Without throwing away the bacon fat in the pan, fry the garlic without burning it (it will take just a few seconds). As soon as it gives off its aroma, get the garlic out of the pan because it will keep frying even if the pan is off the stove.
6. Mix the mustard with the mayonnaise and spread across the bread. Sprinkle with the garlic (it won't have such a strong taste since it's fried), top with the bacon/pancetta, then the lettuce and then the tomato slices. If you're using, top with a few jalapenos as well.
7. Serve as soon as possible. Bon appetit!
Unfortunately I didn't manage to photograph it, but do let me know of your thoughts if you try it at home. :)